Friday, August 3, 2012

Three things about Dushanbe

I've been here in Dushanbe, Tajikistan for two weeks now. Naturally I have come to a few conclusions about the city they call Monday.
1- For a city full of people speaking a language that doesn't have a word for trash, Dushanbe has a lot of trash. Everywhere.
2-The toilet paper most commonly found in Tajiki "bathrooms" is equivalent to what we use for party streamers is the U.S. but it doesn't come in fun colors. Needless to say, my butt was not happy with me before I went to the bazaar and bought bright green, apple scented, western toilet paper.
3- Walking down the street is quite dangerous for two reasons. Firstly because of the traffic and secondly because of the smells. The cars don't seem to follow any strict set of rules, but surprisingly I've only witnessed one car accident since I've been here. Dodging cars while walking on the sidewalks is normal here. The smells are another story however, because you can't dodge the myriad of smells on the street, no matter how hard you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment